Hospitals of Hope

"Showing Christ's love by healing bodies and souls"
A Christian organization which uses medicine to heal the physical body and then uses the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cure the soul.
For more info go to http://www.hospitalsofhope.org/

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Almost halfway through!

We’ve made it almost halfway through our journey and we have all survived so far. I’m feeling much better now and I have my appetite back which is a blessing and a curse. Thank you all so much for your continued prayers for all of us here in Bolivia. I guess I have a few days to get caught up on so I’ll start with Saturday. We got to sleep in which was nice, then we went shopping in downtown Cochabamba at the market. I bought several souvenirs and was surprised by how much I am picking up of the language. After that we did kid washing again, where we invite the street kids for a bath, new clothes and a piece of bread. It’s always a very good experience.
On Sunday we went to an English speaking church (finally!) and I very much enjoyed the service. I enjoy the Spanish ones also but I don’t get as much out of it when I’m not understanding what’s being said. After that Leta (our new volunteer coordinator) split us up and sent us around the city to do our grocery shopping. They don’t have a big supermarket here or a wal-mart, so we had to go to many different places to get everything we needed.
Yesterday I was supposed to work in the Laboratory for the first time which I was excited about but there was a blockade so not many patients or doctors could get to the hospital. Bolivia has many blockades mostly due to the government making new taxes and the people getting upset. So they all park their vehicles at key intersections so no one can pass, it’s more of a organized revolt against the government. Instead of working at the hospital, I helped Leta buy fresh produce from the local market for dinner. The blockade was right in front of the market so we hoped to get a taxi back to the hospital but once we were loaded up with food we couldn’t find any taxi’s. We had to walk for a ways with all of the heavy produce before a taxi came along that would take us the rest of the way.
After that ordeal we had to prepare the house for a total of 28 volunteers that will be here next week. We broke down some beds and moved them to other rooms and rearranged furniture and cleaned out closets. It was quite an overhaul but we got it done with everyone helping! Then another volunteer and I made chicken broccoli and rice casserole for dinner. I’ve kind of missed cooking since I’ve been here so I’m planning on helping out more. Everyone enjoyed our dinner which made me happy.
Today I did get to work in the lab, but it was still a slow day so I didn’t get to do much. I did get to look at one parasite from a fecal sample and at lymphocytes from a blood smear. The lab doctor speaks English so I can understand him when he is explaining things to me. I’m hoping to go back when there are more patients and get to do some hands on work! Now I’m just waiting until it’s time to start making dinner. Leta is away doing important things so I offered to help make dinner again. We’re having either beef or beans in tortillas with pico de gallo and guacamole.
Thanks once again for reading and supporting me with your thoughts and prayers. God Bless!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

"May God be gracious to us and bless us and make His face shine on us so that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations. " Psalms 67 : 1-2